Champaign County (IL) will be hosting a FREE residential electronics collection event on Saturday, April 12, 2014 from 8 a.m. to noon at Parkland College (parking lot M-4). Parkland College is located at 2400 W. Bradley in Champaign. See http://www.parkland.edu/about/maps.aspx for directions to Parkland, as well as a map of the parking lots.
Electronic items to be accepted include:
- Televisions of any type*
- Computers, laptops, monitors*
- Home entertainment electronic items (VCRs, Betamax, DVD players, cassette players, Blue Ray players, 8‐track players, turntables, etc.)
- Kitchen electronic items / kitchen appliances (blenders, food processors, toasters, microwaves, etc.)
- Bathroom electronic items (curling irons, flat irons, night lights, electric razors, electric toothbrushes, clocks, blow dryers, etc.)
- Office electronic equipment (printers, scanners, copiers, etc.)
* no broken glass accepted!
Items which will NOT be accepted include:
- Broken glass televisions / broken glass monitors
- White goods: refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners
- Stoves, washer/dryers, dishwashers
- Fluorescent lighting, CFLs, ballast and other devices containing PCBs
- Thermostats, fire detectors
- Alkaline batteries, other than installed in equipment
- Household hazardous waste
- Medical waste
- Gas powered equipment or lawn equipment
For more information on electronic devices which are BANNED from disposal in Illinois landfills, as well as a list of local businesses which accept electronics for recycling year-round (with devices accepted and any restrictions for each location), please see the Champaign County Electronics Recycling Guide. For questions related to the 4/12/14 electronics collection event, you may call 217-328-3313.