LibGuides is a web 2.0 platform that libraries use to create topical guides to help their users find information. It combines the best features of social networks, wikis, and blogs into one package. Librarians can incorporate RSS feeds, video, web links, bibliographic citations, search boxes, and other finding aids.
LibGuides also allows librarians to create polls and allows users to comment on specific resources and tools within each guide. Users can also sign up to receive e-mail alerts when new content is published, either for particular topics/keywords or for a specific librarian.
Five of GLRPPR’s topic hubs have been repackaged as LibGuides. They are:
- Auto Salvage-Great Lakes Region Topic Hub
- Energy Efficient Schools and Students Topic Hub
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in Schools Topic Hub
- Mercury — Schools Topic Hub
- Technology Diffusion Topic Hub
In addition to the repackaged topic hubs, I have developed a number of other guides on various sustainability topics, including the Pollution Prevention 101 LibGuide (pictured at the end of the post), which is a compilation of tools and resources useful for P2 technical assistance providers, particularly those who are new to the field.
Other sustainability LibGuides include:
- Biochar and the Environment
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Films
- Environmental Novels
- Green Business
- Green Libraries
- Green Living
- Green/Sustainable Building
- Librarian’s Environmental Toolkit
- Light Pollution and Sensible Lighting Alternatives
- Social Media Best Practices (in cooperation with the P2Rx Marketing Committee)
- Sustainable Product Design